The Church of St John the Baptist, by Glastonbury Abbey
The Saxons, who had converted to Christianity, conquered the county of Somerset in the 7th Century. Their King was Ine of Wessex, and he put up a stone church, the base of which forms the west end of the nave.
This church was enlarged in the 10th century by the Abbot of Glastonbury, St. Dunstan, who became the Archbishop of Canterbury in 960. The Norman betterment of the abbey was extensive. In 1086, when the Domesday Book was commissioned to provide records and a census of life in England, Glastonbury Abbey was the richest monastery in the country.
The great Norman structures were consumed by fire in 1184. One story goes that, in order to raise extra funds from pilgrims to rebuild the abbey, the monks in 1191 dug to find King Arthur and his Queen Guinevere; and bones from two bodies were raised from a deep grave in the cemetery on the south side of the Lady Chapel.
Nikon D810, Nikkor 35mm F/1.8, 400 ISO. 5 image HDR in Photoshop.
35mmD810GlastonburyLightroomNikkorNikonStreetAbbeygardenquiettranquilhistoryheritagemonkAugust2014F1.8400 ISOHDR ChurchSt John the Baptist