Ashby De La Zouch Castle
The site originated as a Norman fortified manor house in the 12th century founded by Alain de Parrhoet, la Zouch. During the next three centuries it was extended by his descendants. In 1461, the castle reverted to the Crown after the then owner James Butler, the 5th Earl of Ormonde, was executed after the Battle of Towton. Edward IV bestowed it upon William, Lord Hastings. William was awarded a licence to crenellate in 1474 and quickly started major works to extend and improve the castle. The principal building of this time was the Hastings Tower. There was also a Great Hall and other grand rooms for entertainment sited to the north of the main tower. A Chapel was built by William on the northeast corner of the castle.